Make Your Mark with Joan Martin
Regular price $ 30.00 USD
Experiment with mixed media in fun, new ways and learn expressive mark-making techniques with artist and professional art educator Joan Martin.
- 65 minutes of HD video instruction
- 4 in-depth video lessons, complete with inspiring reference photos
- Immediate, lifetime access to all class content in Sktchy Art School
LESSON 1: EXPRESSIVE BALLPOINT PEN AND MIXED MEDIA
In this lesson, you'll learn unique techniques that will help you create looser, more expressive marks, and Joan will demonstrate her process of applying various thick, white media to her drawings to create texture and depth.
Lesson length: 13m43s
LESSON 2: WAX AS A RESIST COMBINED WITH GRAPHITE AND INK
In this lesson, you'll apply wax over your canvas as a resist layer that forces you to accept and navigate your mistakes. Then you'll continue your portrait in graphite and ink, treating the resistance of the wax as a "problem" that requires creative solutions. Finally, you'll finish the portrait by applying various white media to augment the artwork and treat errors.
Lesson length: 17m41s
LESSON 3: ALTERNATIVE APPLICATORS AND MIXED MEDIA
In this lesson, you'll use a sponge roller to create a background for your portrait. Then you'll use unusual applicators–a pipette, a feather, and a piece of string–in the process of creating a portrait with ink and mixed media. Finally, you'll use white media to resolve your mistakes.
Lesson length: 25m08s
LESSON 4: STAMPING AND STENCILING
In this lesson, you'll learn various stamping and stenciling techniques, using both store-bought and home-made items, in the process of creating a new, original portrait.
Lesson length: 12m26s
You'll also get access to a library of Q&A videos in which Joan answers questions from students just like you.
What tools and materials do I need to take this class?
- White cartridge/printer paper (inexpensive)
- Small sponge roller
- 3 acrylic brushes (fine, medium, large)
- Old credit cards/gift cards
- Can of artist’s fixative or inexpensive hairspray
- White acrylic paint/white acrylic marker pen/white ink
- 2 ballpoint pens (at least two different colours)
- Long paintbrush/dowel stick (about 35 cm long), or a stick from the garden
- Masking tape
- 1 inexpensive household candle, or white wax crayon or pastel
- Graphite pencils (a clutch/mechanical pencil or drawing pencil will work)
- Acrylic drawing ink (black and one other colour)
- Plastic pipettes, or medium-weight string, or a feather
- Thick cardboard box (the type that has two smooth pieces of card that sandwich a corrugated piece inside)
- Plastic woven bags (e.g., a fruit bag)
- Textured, non-slip mat
- Text-based stamps and stamp pad (optional)
What skill level do I need for this class?
This class is perfect for any artist who wants to learn expressive mark-making techniques.
Do I get lifetime access to the class?
Yes! Your purchase gets you lifetime access to ALL class content.
Can I go at my own pace?
Yes! This is an on-demand class, and that means that you can go at your own pace and revisit the class content whenever you like because you have lifetime access.
What is your refund policy?
All sales are final.
Contact us. We'll reply asap.